{In case you're wondering, that means "Everyone to the table to eat!" in Italian}

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Mimi's Baked Ham


This is the ham I remember eating for Christmas dinner as a kid. While ham seems expensive, I figure at $1.69 a pound it was cheaper than chicken breasts, and we always get several meals out of it. So for about $12.00 we got a ham dinner, 2 quart bags of leftover meat (I'll use that in omelettes, sandwiches, or a casserole) and a meaty ham bone which I'll use to make my favorite White Bean and Ham Soup (check tomorrow for that recipe).
Mimi's Baked Ham
1 Cook's butt half ham
1 can cranberry sauce
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. juice (orange, pineapple, etc)
2 tb. mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
Line large roasting pan with double-layer of foil, cut long. Cut excess fat off outside of ham and around bone in the center, place on foil. Mix all other ingredients in saucepan, heat on medium until all mixed together and heated. Pour sauce into hole in ham and all over it. Wrap extra foil around ham and seal, leaving space inside for heat to circulate. Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes per pound. I served mine with scalloped potatoes and asparagus. YUM!

No comments: