{In case you're wondering, that means "Everyone to the table to eat!" in Italian}

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Meatless Lasagna


As I started making my menu for this week on Sunday night, I realized I was at a loss for ideas, so Dustin said he'd make the menu. Usually this ends up being game meat ideas or pancakes, which I reject, but this time he had some great ideas. His menu was: Monday-Pork chops with applesauce and green beans, Tuesday-Chicken Divan and rice, Wednesday-Lasagna with french bread, Thursday-Scrambled eggs, bacon and hashbrowns, and Friday-Ribeye steaks (YUM!). My contributions this week- Saturday will be pizza night and Sunday we're having ham, scalloped potatoes and asparagus. Of course I'm still cooking it all, but it was nice not to have to think about the menu for once. Thanks, Dustin- great ideas! I always make my lasagna meatless- it's cheaper, there's already protein with all the cheeses, and I like it better! This time we tried whole wheat lasagna noodles, and it still turned out great! I served it with spaghetti squash (a la the Webster garden) and French bread.
Meatless Lasagna
12 lasagna noodles, cooked al dente and drained
15 oz. low-fat cottage cheese
4 c. shredded mozzerella, divided
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
2 eggs
1 tb. parsley
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 jar your favorite spaghetti sauce (I love roasted garlic)
While your pasta is cooking, mix cottage cheese, 2 c. mozzarella, parmesan, eggs, parsley and pepper in bowl. Spread 3/4 c. spaghetti sauce on bottom of 13 x 9 pan. Lay 4 lasagna noodles, overlapping, in pan. Spread on 1/2 of cheese mixture. Spread on 3/4 c. more of sauce. Layer 4 more noodles, remaining cheese mixture, and 3/4 c. sauce again. Top with last 4 noodles, remaining sauce, and last 2 c. of mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil, bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more. Remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes before serving (this helps it set up so your lasagna isn't watery). Enjoy!
Variation for Spinach Lasagna: Sometimes I add a layer of baby spinach leaves on top of each cheese mixture layer- it adds extra nutrients and the kids hardly notice it's there!

No comments: