{In case you're wondering, that means "Everyone to the table to eat!" in Italian}

Monday, February 22, 2010

Menu-Plan Monday: Week 1

For about the past 5 years I have been making a menu plan every Sunday night. I then do all my grocery shopping on Monday and have everything I need for the week. Of course there are times I forget something, run out of milk, or have to get stuff for an unexpected event, but for the most part I get it all done once a week. This has helped me save a lot of time, money, and stress wondering what to make for dinner. I sit down Sunday night, check the grocery store ads to see if anyone is having great sales on things I buy, and then make my list. I have a list I made up that I print with sections for groceries: dairy, meat, other grocery (canned goods, baking products, etc), produce, deli, bakery, frozen foods, and non-food items. I keep one on my fridge so I can write items down as I run out throughout the week. Then on Sunday I figure out my menu, adding items that I need for each meal (I write the menu on the back of my list). This helps me get through the store faster, and also helps if I need to change something at the store because they are out of one of my ingredients. I always list my side dishes on my menu, and add any lunch or breakfast items I need to the list as well. If you want to give it a try and would like my list, shoot me an e-mail and I'll send it to you. I thought I'd start posting my menu plan each Monday, so if you get bored with the same old things like me you can get some ideas. Here is this week's menu (I'll add links to the recipes I post later):

Monday: Glazed Italian meatloaf, baked potatoes, and green beans
Tuesday: Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup and crackers
Wednesday: Denver omelettes and fruit salad
Thursday: Southwestern Crock-pot Chicken
Friday: Pizza/movie night (BBQ Chicken pizza and salad)
Saturday: Roasted Veggie & Black Bean Burritos
Sunday: Cafe Rio pork salad w/ cilantro-lime dressing

1 comment:

Julie said...

I have a list, too, but I want to see yours. Would you send it to me? I am getting a lot of great new ideas...thanks for sharing! I was going to make spaghetti and meatballs tonight for dinner, but now I think I'll make chicken and dumplings. Sounds so good!