{In case you're wondering, that means "Everyone to the table to eat!" in Italian}

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Banana Cream Pie


I keep saying that Chocolate Almond Mousse Pie is my fave, but I think I'd forgotten how much I loved homemade Banana Cream Pie. It is at least a close 2nd, if not a tie for the top. I got this recipe from my mom-in-law. PS I am going to admit that there was one slice left the next morning, and it was so scrumptious, I just couldn't help it, so I ate it for breakfast! :0

Banana Cream Pie
3 cups milk
3/4 c. sugar
5 tb. cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
3 egg yolks
2 tb. butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 bananas
1 baked pie shell

Scald milk in a glass bowl in microwave for 5-6 minutes on power level 8. Meanwhile, mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk the mixture into the scalded milk. Beat the egg yolks, slowly pour in 3/4 c. of the milk mixture, stirring. Add the egg mixture back to the rest of the milk mixture and whisk. Cook on power level 8 for 3-4 minutes. Whisk, then cook for 2 more minutes. Whisk again, cook for 1 minute and continue this until custard is very thick. When thickened, stir in butter and vanilla. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate (can be made the night before serving). When ready to serve, gently mix in sliced bananas (or coconut) and spread in pie shell. Be sure to serve with REAL whipped cream!

No comments: