{In case you're wondering, that means "Everyone to the table to eat!" in Italian}

Friday, October 16, 2009

Easy Homemade Yogurt


OK, seriously, why has no one ever told me how easy this is before? I saw this recipe on my friend Natalie Pope's blog, and I knew I'd eventually have to try it. We've been eating a lot of yogurt lately (Dustin for late-night snacks when I have ice cream, and the kids and I for afternoon snacks). It costs a fortune! If I buy a pack of Go-gurts for the kids, a few Yoplaits for me, and a quart of Dustin's favorite yogurt, that would cost me about $7.50 a week (assuming they are all on sale). It cost me about $1.25 to make a HALF GALLON of this delicious, creamy yogurt. Next time it'll be less than a dollar since I can use my own yogurt for the culture. And it has only 3 ingredients and no high-fructose corn syrup. I can live with that! Thanks, Natalie!
Easy Homemade Yogurt
Half gallon (8 cups) milk (I used skim)
1/2 c. yogurt (plain or vanilla is best)
In a crock-pot, pour 8 cups milk. Cover and turn on crock-pot to low, cook for 2 1/2 hours. Uncover and turn off heat, let sit for 1 1/2 to 3 hours, or until milk cools to 120- 135 degrees (you don't want to kill the yogurt cultures when you add them). Once cooled, stir in the yogurt (next time you can use your own yogurt to do this). Cover with lid and lay one or two heavy towels on top of crock-pot. Leave on counter at least 8 hours or overnight. In the morning it will have turned into creamy, delicious yogurt!  If you want it thicker (Greek-style), Place several layers of cheesecloth in large strainer and pour in yogurt.  Place over a bowl and let sit in fridge for several hours. It is unsweetened, so you can add a little sugar, honey or other sweetener and vanilla, or a tablespoon of jam to your bowl of yogurt. Or use instead of sour cream. YUM!

No comments: