{In case you're wondering, that means "Everyone to the table to eat!" in Italian}

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Beautiful Brown Bananas


Most things are bad when they go bad, right? Except bananas! When bananas get over-ripe you can make the yummiest things! My 2 favorite things to make for snacks (or breakfast) when my bananas go brown are banana bread and chocolate-banana milk. I actually make banana pancakes, too, but I haven't made those in a while, so I don't have a pic. I have had many banana bread recipes over the years, but this is my favorite. Dustin brought some home that an old lady patient of his had made, and it was the best I'd ever had, so I told him he had to get the recipe. The secret is butter instead of oil, and 4 bananas instead of the typical 3. When I only have 1 or 2, I make chocolate-banana milk, my own recipe.
Best Banana Bread
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
4 mashed bananas
2 eggs
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
pinch salt
3 tb. buttermilk (I mix 3 tb. milk and 1/2 tsp. lemon juice and let it sit a few minutes)
Cream butter and sugar. Add bananas and eggs. Add dry ingredients, then buttermilk. Pour into greased loaf pans (1 large, 3 small, or 24 muffins). Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes (large pan). 3 small pans takes about 25-35 minutes, muffins take about 20-25 minutes.
Chocolate Banana Milk
4 c. milk
1-2 bananas
chocolate syrup (as much as you like)
Mix all in blender until smooth. Serves 4. YUM!

No comments: